Re: Spliting packages between pkg and pkg-data

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:39:24PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:13:48PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> >> 3) Keep the files that 'signal' executables in the same package than the
> >>    executable (e.g. menu file, program manpage).
>
> > Why? I agree that it menu files and manpages are generally not that
> > large, but what would it break to have them in pkg-data?
> > (I would consider it strange to have such files out of the main pkg
> > package, but it looks policy-compliant as far as I can see...)
>
> Well, one practical concern is that it makes it harder for other utilities
> like lintian to analyze the package properly.

Well, that's an argument I don't like. Those are tools that help us
check our packages are correct, but I don't think it is reasonable to
modify otherwise correct package only to make such tools happy. For the
same reason, I'm not happy with setting lintian overrides, as I consider
it bloats the packages for no good reason (although the "bloat" is very
limited").

Cheers,

Nicolas