Re: Spliting packages between pkg and pkg-data

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:13:48PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Hello Debian developers,
>
> When doing research about circular-deps, I looked at a lot of packages
> that are split between a binary package and a data package. This is a
> good thing since this reduce the total siez of the archive, however
> there are simple rules that should be followed:
>
> 3) Keep the files that 'signal' executables in the same package than the
>    executable (e.g. menu file, program manpage).

Why? I agree that it menu files and manpages are generally not that
large, but what would it break to have them in pkg-data?
(I would consider it strange to have such files out of the main pkg
package, but it looks policy-compliant as far as I can see...)

Nicolas