Re: State of gcc 2.95 use in Debian unstable

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 07:33 -0800, Dave Carrigan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 04:12:45PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
>
> > > The situation is: gcc-2.95 is no longer needed to compile debian packages,
> > > but it is still needed for other tasks, by many people.
> >
> > By whom, and for what? So far I haven't heard a specific project's
> > name.
>
> Debian does not exist for the benefit of its developers, it exists for
> the benefit of its users. I doubt that many Debian *users* read
> debian-devel so they aren't going to be responding to messages in this
> thread.
[snip]
> Removing a package simply because the Debian developers don't need it
> any more is the kind of arrogance that drives users away from Debian to
> other distributions.

Geez, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

How much do you *pay*, in hard, cold Dead Presidents, to use Debian?

That's right: Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.

Debian is staffed by volunteers who do this because they want to.
I, for one, appreciate very, very much what they do for me.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"We have the power to do any damn fool thing we want to do, and
we seem to do it about every ten minutes."
Senator J. William Fulbright (D-AR)