Re: Shall Debian's su conform to other implementations

> > New shadow would conflict with ALL packages that do not support the new
> > syntax
>
> Unfortunately, yes; and we saw plenty of occasions in woody->sarge where
> conflicts with old packages made the upgrade path more difficult than it
> should have been...

Up to now, we have identified pbuilder (fixed since 0.129 on Aug. 16th
according to Junichi) and dchroot (no news from the maintainer up to
now).

My first analysis and understanding is that conflicting with these
shoudn't break the upgrade path that much.

Anyway, I'm highly confident in Nicolas François (who's in charge of
this behaviour change handling in the shadow team) to do his best for
handling this change as smoothly as possible.

For instance, we already talked about a possible double behaviour of
su, which could depend on an env variable sur as POSIXLY_CORRECT....