Re: Request: Source for parts of GNU/Solaris

On Friday 11 November 2005 19:36, Erast Benson wrote:
> > On Friday 11 November 2005 06:48, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Let's consider this dpkg binary from the GNU/Solaris LiveCD, which I have
> > loop
> > mounted:
> >
> > david@zion:/gnusolaris/livecd-mnt/usr/bin$ ./dpkg
> > bash: ./dpkg: No such file or directory
> > david@zion:/gnusolaris/livecd-mnt/usr/bin$
> >
> > Since the GNU libc I'm running locally is not binary compatible to the
> > Sun libc against which the dpkg binary is linked. This is now the point:
> > the binary is not independent any more and therefore "the same sections
> > [are distributed] as part of a whole [(i.e. /usr/bin/dpkg +
> > /lib/libc.so)] which
> > is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on
> > the
> > terms of this License".
>
> David,
>
> [Running this dpkg binary on Solaris 8 through 11 would work, it is
> therefore independent]
>
> Erast

[First please be advised that I will copy further private communications from
you verbatim to public mailinglists as I feel necessary to facilitate the
public discussion about this.]

We can agree that dpkg is as independent as other linked binaries, which can
be run on Solaris and OpenSolaris and your distribution.

What I don't think, is that this is "independent" enough. Being able to run
the dpkg binary on a older version of the same library doesn't change the
requirements when they are distributed together.

For me, this sounds similar to saying that "trains are independent of tracks
because they can drive on german and austrian tracks."

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?
- *hust* gut *rotz* *keuch*