Re: RFC: drop kerberos4-support?

    Andreas> Hi, while my regular "clean up RC-bugs"-work I noticed
    Andreas> that the package krb4 is RC-buggy in more than one
    Andreas> way. On further investigation, I also noticed that
    Andreas> kerberos 4 is dying right now, and also that the bugs are
    Andreas> not as easy to fix. Also, upstream doesn't look too
    Andreas> active according to http://www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb/. For
    Andreas> this reason, I started to consider to push dropping of
    Andreas> the krb4-package from unstable. This has some influence
    Andreas> on the heimdal-package, and also on the release notes for
    Andreas> migration issue. However, I personally tend to go that
    Andreas> way. Please see bug #315059 for some discussion;
    Andreas> especially, heimdal in experimental stopped to depend on
    Andreas> kerberos 4.

Not only that, but it conflicts with key krb4 libraries (libroken and
libsl) IIRC.

    Andreas> Well, my question is simple: should I push packages to go
    Andreas> away from kerberos-4-support? Unless there is a good
    Andreas> reason to do not, I would start to push into that
    Andreas> direction. And of course, feel free to send me things
    Andreas> that need to be changed. As usual, the maintainers have a
    Andreas> special say in everything (that's why I Cced them). :)

Ideally I thin the krb4 maintainer should have same say.

However I haven't heard from him.

I think there several things I want to do before uploading Heimdal to
unstable as it is in experimental:

* Find out what packages will break.

* Find out what packages will still be broken even after recompiling.

* Find out what is required to keep AFS support working (assuming I
  don't already have it).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>