Re: Packages file missing from unstable archive

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:51:30 +1000
Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> Anyway, if it's recompressing like I think, there's no way to get the
> same compressed md5sum -- even if the information could be
> transferred, there's no guarantee the local gzip _can_ produce the
> same output as the remote gzip -- imagine if it had used gzip -9 and
> your local gzip only supports -1 through -5, eg.

We could just mandate in policy that what the gzip level is supposed to
be. If we're going to do that, it's probably easier to just use
--rsyncable and teach zsync to do look-in-ar instead of
look-in-gz. Also we wouldn't have the md5sum problem on the data.tar.gz
then. Note that I haven't tested the efficiency of --rsyncable...

grts Tim