Re: Determining a .deb's intended Debian Version

In article <[🔎] 43726659.6050108@opencountry.com> you wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could provide me with some additional
> information related to Debian packaging.  Specifically, I would like to
> know if there is a way to determine which version of Debian that a
> package belongs to?

You can check if it belongs currently to a version bymeans of the signed
package file.

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian3.1r0/Release{,.gpg}

is the release file with the associated signature, which lists the md5sums
of the package files. And the package files list the version of the packages
and the checksum of the archive file in:

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian3.1r0/main/binary-i386/Packages

Gruss
Bernd