Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thursday 03 November 2005 21:25, Erast Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 14:32 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > > If your core feature is GPLd code coming from Debian, I'd kindly
> > > suggest to take the concerns of Debian developers regarding compliance
> > > with the license of that code seriously, and to argue your points
> > > accordingly.
> >
> > And I will unkindly *demand* that our concerns be taken quite seriously.
> >
> > Often the Debian packaging scripts are GPLed and we are the copyright
> > holders of those.  Not to mention a bunch of Debian-specific packages
> > that are also GPLed, and whose copyright holders are Debian developers
> > (and I am one of them).  So, you'd better be prepared to convince us that
> > shipping CDDL Kernel+libc *together* with GPL software linked to that
> > CDDL libc is compliant, if you want to remain in good will with us.
> >
> > We are NOT asking for too much, and we are not engaging in any religious
> > wars either.  We are being responsible citizens.  If the CDDL is
> > compatible to the DFSG and to the GPL, so much the better IMHO, I have
> > *nothing* against the Solaris kernel and libc, even if I do prefer the
> > Linux kernel and glibc over them.  I will welcome Debian OpenSolaris if
> > it is possible to do so legally.
>
> Nexenta community willing to make appropriate changes to the system and
> make it absolutely Debian legal OS. And more I'm looking into it, i'm
> sure it is quite easy possible by making main Nexenta OS CD to be
> GPL-free. All GPL software will be distributed on Nexenta "Companion"
> CD, if user wants to.
>
> To make it happen, we need to resolve "dpkg" issue and initial boot
> strapping process. Which is quite possible to re-write dpkg as CDDL
> software. But to avoid duplication of work, it will be wise for Debian
> community to release dpkg under LGPL license. Of course, if Debian

It is safer/wiser/saner to re-license you code under GPL or GPL-compat
license. No sane person will use CDDL 1.0 licensed code, at least because of
the funny patches like the choice-of-venue clauses. Patch your license or
find already proven to be free one.

> community serious about non-glibc ports. If not, I doubt Nexenta OS will
> ever be part of Debian community and will continue its way more like
> Ubunutu. Think about it.

I highly doubt such funny ultimatum does matter ;-) Please read www.debian.org
to get a notion how the Debian community works.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB