Re: Request: Source for parts of GNU/Solaris

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> I'm amazed at the level of intolerence that's greeting a pretty major
> contribution to the free software community. There are, what, five major
> OS/kernels for PCs/workstatsions these days -- Windows, OS X, Solaris,
> BSD and Linux. How does it make any sense at all to be hostile to the
> fact that now four out of those five are free at their core?

I would love a viable Debian-based Solaris system, and I think it's
absolutely wonderful that we have so much software available under free
licenses. But the CDDL/GPL issue is a big one, and it needs to be
resolved in a way that doesn't leave people feeling like their code is
being misappropriated. Pushing out CD images despite these concerns
being raised isn't a good way of inspiring trust and cooperation, and
the fact that these concerns still haven't been answered in an even
vaguely coherent way doesn't reassure me at all.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org