Re: Request: Source for parts of GNU/Solaris

On Monday 07 November 2005 21:29, John Hasler wrote:
> David Schmitt writes:
> > I have downloaded the elatte_live_prealpha1_x86.iso.gz[1] from your
> > website and found a dpkg binary on it.
> >
> > Much to my dismay I was not able to locate the source for this binary,
> > despite it being obviously under the GPL[2].
>
> Was the requisite written offer included?

On http://www.edv-bus.at/david/gnusolaris/download_page.ps you can see the
Page where I downloaded it. As far as I can see, there is neither a link to
the source nor a written offer.

> Would you be willing to check
> the CD for other GPL software and notify the authors if you find any?

On http://www.edv-bus.at/david/gnusolaris/copyrights/ you can find
the /usr/share/doc/*/copyright files as I found them on the ISO image.
A simple check[1] in this directory indicates 265 packages claiming GPL
inheritance. Amongst them apt, base-files, base-passwd, debianutils, defoma,
dselect, python-apt and synaptic, which seem to be of particular interest to
the Debian community.

Additionally I have uploaded the /var/lib/dpkg/status from the ISO image to
document the declared relationships between the packages. This can also be
found in the http://www.edv-bus.at/david/gnusolaris/ directory.

Regards, David Schmitt

[1] rgrep -l GPL * | wc -l

--