Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 14:32 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > If your core feature is GPLd code coming from Debian, I'd kindly suggest
> > to take the concerns of Debian developers regarding compliance with the
> > license of that code seriously, and to argue your points accordingly.
>
> And I will unkindly *demand* that our concerns be taken quite seriously.
>
> Often the Debian packaging scripts are GPLed and we are the copyright
> holders of those.  Not to mention a bunch of Debian-specific packages that
> are also GPLed, and whose copyright holders are Debian developers (and I am
> one of them).  So, you'd better be prepared to convince us that shipping
> CDDL Kernel+libc *together* with GPL software linked to that CDDL libc is
> compliant, if you want to remain in good will with us.
>
> We are NOT asking for too much, and we are not engaging in any religious
> wars either.  We are being responsible citizens.  If the CDDL is compatible
> to the DFSG and to the GPL, so much the better IMHO, I have *nothing*
> against the Solaris kernel and libc, even if I do prefer the Linux kernel
> and glibc over them.  I will welcome Debian OpenSolaris if it is possible to
> do so legally.

Nexenta community willing to make appropriate changes to the system and
make it absolutely Debian legal OS. And more I'm looking into it, i'm
sure it is quite easy possible by making main Nexenta OS CD to be
GPL-free. All GPL software will be distributed on Nexenta "Companion"
CD, if user wants to.

To make it happen, we need to resolve "dpkg" issue and initial boot
strapping process. Which is quite possible to re-write dpkg as CDDL
software. But to avoid duplication of work, it will be wise for Debian
community to release dpkg under LGPL license. Of course, if Debian
community serious about non-glibc ports. If not, I doubt Nexenta OS will
ever be part of Debian community and will continue its way more like
Ubunutu. Think about it.

Erast