Re: postinst scripts failing because a new conffile wasn't accepted: Is it a bug?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 06:56:44PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> the simple fact that a postinst script fails because a change has been
> refused isn't - and for sure it is not a serious or grave bug,
> severities often used when a postinst fails.
>
> Opinions?

without knowing more about "package x", i would suggest that this is
a bug in the packaging that the postinst script failed if said
program/utility/daemon was not able to function.  imho, definitely not
serious or grave, as it affects "some, not all" and is more
of a misconfiguration issue.

i would suggest that errors from such programs should induce warnings,
but not be fatal to the installation of the package.  for example, if
i had customized mysql's my.cnf and in an upgrade an obsoleted option
caused the server not to start, it should not prevent the installation
from completing, though the error message displayed by invoke-rc.d would
certainly be enlightening.  and mentioning the potential problem in
{README,NEWS,Changelog}.Debian could be helpful too.

 	sean