Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 02:51:00PM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:

> It seems that you still did not get my point.
> My point is, in a SoHo workstation, this is exactly the most common
> scenario nowadays (example: "hmm. let me try this new dvd-player... I
> open synaptic, install it, ... nah, it does not work as I expected [but
> it installed gstreamer, jackd, etc in the process] let me try the next
> one in the list...")

Well, in this situation you are likely to try out several packages that
turn out to be broken in some regard and leave other cruft behind
besides unused accounts. So for example, why not extend "cruft" (or some
other similar tool) to report and possibly remove unused accounts, when
the admin feels like it's time to tidy up?

That way the admin can _see_ that the account is to be removed and can
stop if he thinks "oh damn, I still use that".

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences