Re: A thought about killing two bird with one stone

* Lars Wirzenius (liw@liw.iki.fi) wrote:
> ke, 2005-10-26 kello 12:39 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG kirjoitti:
> > David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> writes:
> >
> > > In various discussions recently it has been suggested that it would be
> > > a good idea (TM) to make the init.d scripts run in parallel.  This involves
> > > using some tags from the new LSB and generally making explicit some
> > > run-time dependencies that have had to be hacked to assumed in the
> > > past.
> >
> > How does this help boot faster?  Doesn't it just increase disk
> > contention?
>
> Lots of things sleep a bit (or a long while in case the DHCP server is
> slow) and meanwhile other things could easily be started, if they don't
> depend on the sleeping thing.

Not to mention that quite a few things do things like DNS lookups which
could take quite a while for an unconnected system (perhaps because
something broke, or who knows what else, I've had it happen, waiting for
sendmail to time out sucks).

	Stephen