Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

hey steve,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 05:29:46AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> In the general case, I can think of two reasons to remove users (but
> leave the ids reserved): namespace pollution, and user lookup performance
> when using flatfile /etc/passwd.  Neither of these is particularly relevant
> for system accounts, but if adduser gained support for something like this I
> don't see any reason for system accounts to *not* use it.

i was speaking specifically about system accounts, i guess i didn't make
that clear.  i can see all kinds of wierd problems hapenning when a
system-account is removed, but still owning files on the filesystem
(perhaps not even files managed by dpkg), and later more system
accounts are created.

i suppose this could be addressed by "reserving" uid/account pairs so
the subsequent additions of the user took the same uid and no other
accounts would take it, but that seems like a whole lot of work to do
and for no good reason in the first place.

	sean