Re: a few tips on proper use of version tracking in the Debian BTS

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:50:11PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Along similar lines, if a have a "closes: #nnn" in my changelog for
> > > package X, but the bug is for package Y, is this going to mess things
> > > up?

> > Well, things will be messed up, as there's no possible way for the BTS to
> > correctly infer your meaning. :)  If the bug is closed in an upload of
> > package X, then either the bug belongs to package X[1], or it shouldn't have
> > been closed.

> That is what I did few days ago and BTS seems to be quite comfortable
> dealing with it on the BTS web.

> Resolved bugs ...

>  #126438: Nested <file> and <url> tags produce bad pdf hyperlinks
>  Package: debiandoc-sgml (fixed: debiandoc-sgml-doc 1.1.17); Severity: minor; Reported by: Chris Tillman <toff@azstarnet.com>

> Am I causing problem to BTS?

No, it doesn't cause any problems for the BTS; it's just confusing and
inconsistent for people trying to get information out of the BTS.  If the
bug was in debiandoc-sgml-doc, *not* in debiandoc-sgml, then it's helpful to
have the bug assigned to debiandoc-sgml-doc.

Cheers,