Re: Dependencies of -dev packages

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:15:28AM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:

> I can see potential problems with that last part regarding upstream
> developers whose software happens to depend on packages for which pkg-config
> support remains Debian-specific because upstream doesn't accept the patch.
> It's possible that the Debian-specific nature of this support may simply not
> be noticed until bug reports start coming in from users of other
> distributions...

Well, the only problem I can see is auto-detection (configure etc.)
behaving differently. But if we follow the "try pkg-config first, if
that failed, fall back to what detection technique we have used before"
approach, then we cannot be more broken than current upstream is.

On the other hand, autodetection is never perfect and bugs always
happen. But if we can agree that the general direction is good and worth
pursuing then we can fix bugs as they are found on the way.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences