Re: what to do with iputils (ping, etc)

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 11:52:02PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > How on earth does supporting that feature require incompatibility with
> > other systems?
> It does not, but the iputils maintainer is hinting that this is the
> package status.

I never said anything about the PMTU discovery features.  In fact, I
said that up to date != linux-specific *at this moment*.  I believe that
PMTU discovery is perfectly fine, given that the given sockopts exist in
the libc headers.  Given the fact that iputils hasn't seen an upstream
update in more than 2 years, we may never actually lose *anything* by
converting the package to use only libc headers.  Where we may lose is
if upstream adds new features that are not yet handled by libc.  Even
then, though, we may be able to work around them in the package by
adding our own linux specific definitions when building for Linux
systems.

noah