Re: what to do with iputils (ping, etc)

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:13:30PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Is a portable version required to be not working and not up to date?
> If the upstream maintainer is not interested in it, yes.

It depends on what you mean by "up to date".  If we're only including
glibc headers, then we can only use functionality that glibc supports.
If we bypass glibc and directly use kernel functionality, then we get
all the latest and greatest kernel networking features.  However, the
programs are then entirely linux specific, and may even fail to work
correctly on different (typically older) version of Linux.

So yes, in some sense, a portable ping may be out of date.  This is
exactly why the upstream author didn't accept my patches to remove the
dependency on kernel headers.  He cares more about the package being up
to date.  Our requirements may be slightly different, though.

noah