Re: what to do with iputils (ping, etc)

On Oct 21, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:

> > > and build process is a mess.  The upstream developer is one of the
> > > kernel network stack maintainers, and he wants the iputils package to
> > > always work with the latest and greatest kernel functionality.  As a
> > > result, he includes lots of kernel headers in his programs rather than
> > > using standard headers from /usr/include.
> > So what? There is nothing wrong with this.
> Tell that to the hurd or kFreeBSD people.
I could not care less about hurd or kFreeBSD, sorry.
But I care a lot about having a working and up to date iputils package
for my Linux systems, and I do not want Debian to fork it unless there
is a very good reason. Supporting a toy unreleased OS is not one.

If the iputils package is too much Linux-specific maybe the hurd or
kFreeBSD people should use different implementations for their systems.

--
ciao,
Marco