Re: libcurl3-dev's reverse Build-Depends

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:03:14AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:24:42AM +0200, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> > Since libcurl3-dev was removed from unstable, suddenly a lot of packages are
> > now FTBFS because their Build-Depends on libcurl3-dev cannot be satisfied.
> > Would you consider providing a transition libcurl3-dev package for now, or
> > making libcurl3-openssl-dev provide libcurl3-dev?  -- Unless it's your
> > intention to force all maintainers to choose explicitly between the openssl
> > and gnutls versions immediately, in which case there should be a mass bug
> > filing.

> i'd like to force rdepends packagers to choose the right libcurl3-*-dev
> for them. anyway i agree with you about the wrong time to enforce this.

> i'll re-introduce libcurl3-dev as a transition package depending on
> libcurl3-openssl-dev. anyway i don't consider this urgent and it will
> be solved with the next upload, which is not too far away.

This kind of uncoordinated change is in fact *very* disruptive when
we're in the middle of a pile of transitions for testing; you've left all
packages that build-depend on libcurl3-dev in an unbuildable state in
unstable (38 of them, it appears), and some of these currently *need* to be
built in order to get the KDE transition through without breaking packages
in the process.  Specifically, php4 and php5 are tied into the mess, and are
missing builds on various architectures which can't be done now without a
libcurl3-dev fix, or a sourceful upload of php4/5 that requires a rebuild on
all archs.

So depending on when you think you'll upload curl again, I need to decide
whether it's quicker to do a new sourceful upload of php4 and php5, or wait
for this transition package.

Cheers,