Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 04:21:30PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:

> "Frans Pop" <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> [🔎] 200510112149.50067.aragorn@tiscali.nl">news:[🔎] 200510112149.50067.aragorn@tiscali.nl...
> >On Tuesday 11 October 2005 21:34, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >>  No, because people like to turn off the installation of
> >>recommendations
> >
> >Or yes, because it offers more flexibility to people who have a basic idea
> >of what they are doing.
>
> Exactly. Unless you plan to examine each and every reccomendation of each
> and every package you install then you should not turn off reccomendation
> installation.
>
> Recoomendations are intended to be weak depends. In other words
> recommendations mean: "This package does not actually NEED the listed
> packages, but it is unlikely you will want to install this package without
> the listed package." An even better way to think of it is a Depends that
> can be overridden without apt complaining.

Well, the problem is the widespread misuse of Recommends and Depends.
People have a tendency to use Depends where a Recommends would be
enough, and a Recommends where a Suggests would do the trick.

And until this is corrected, a lot of us won't enable default
installation of Recommendations, simply because our systems get
unnecessarily bloated.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //