Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:00 +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> The main things that this thread shows me, is that it is *not* immediately
> clear to people not too familiar with Debian that the removal of the 'gnome'
> package will not have *any* effect on what actual software is actually installed
> on your system.

Indeed, and this is because the meta-package is not a really good tool
for this job. It has to depend on all packages in order to install them
all, so if you remove one component you get the confusing message that
you need to remove "gnome" aswell.

As most of us I'm not too affectionally engaged with our friends from
Redmond, but they've solved this kind of problem in a simple and elegant
way in the installation of MS Office. If you check the box in front of
PowerPoint, you get the whole thing, or uncheck it and don't install it.
But users who want to customize a bit, can click the + or arrow or
whatever in front of PowerPoint and are offered the choice to
(de-)select many of the sub-components of the item.

I'm not sure whether something like this is already possible, but in my
opinion would be a good way to offer this kind of choice during the
installation.

regards,
Thijs