Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:20 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> It should be an easy matter not to play the games even when they are
> installed.  Regardless, the "gnome" package is not necessary for the
> system; it is just a meta-package that depends on all the
> gnome-related packages.  If you don't want all the gnome-related
> packages, then you can skil installing the "gnome" package and just
> choose the ones you want.

This property of metapackages has always irked me.  If I install gnome
and then remove gnome-games, I won't automatically benefit in the next
release from any other goodies the gnome maintainers have added to
"gnome" package.

Of course, the user could use the "equivs" package to make a fake
gnome-games to satisfy the dependency, but the dire warnings in the
description of the equivs package (assuming the user even knows equivs
exists) are going to discourage most users from trying this.

Ben