Re: Finding out in postinst whether some other package is configured

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2005.10.11.1928 +0200]:
>> is there an established way to find out in the postinst script of a
>> package whether an other package (e.g. one which we Recommend or
>> Suggest) is configured?  Testing for file contents can only tell whether
>> it is unpacked, but that might not be enough.
>
> Assuming it provides a conffile, can you check for $FILE.dpkg-new ?

But this file will stay there if the user chooses to keep their changed
version.  So I would have to check for $FILE, too.  But then I can't
discriminate between "was removed but not purged, now it is unpacked but
unconfigured" and "is configured but the user chose to keep the old
changed conffile", can I?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster