Re: localhost.localdomain

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:37:47PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 06, Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> wrote:
>
> > .localdomain is such a peace of shit which only makes troubles. So
> Please explain which troubles.

Mine with MySQL. And the reason why I initiated this thread. :)

MySQL definitely chokes on localhost.localdomain. And although MySQL will
adopt to distributions using "localhost.localdomain" instead of "localhost"
doesn't mean it's correct. MySQL by default expects "localhost" as the
hostname assigned to the loopback interface. And there is difference
between "localhost" (special meaning) and "localhost.localdomain" (some
hostname) for MySQL.

"RedHat does it" isn't a good argument for me either. Inheriting unneeded
entries should be thought about. I don't think it's the right way to expect
all the software to add hacks to detect "localhost.localdomain".

So still I'm removing the localhost.localdomain after every installation.
Somehow I'm not happy about it.

Apparently this discussion has been done a year ago already and nothing
resulted from it. I hope we are getting somewhere this time.

Regards
 Christoph
--
~