Re: localhost.localdomain

On Thursday 06 October 2005 14:02, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005, Joey Hess wrote:
> > FWIW, it was done as a result of bug #247734, which includes details on
> > how every possible choice seems to break something and the reasoning
> > that led to the current choice.
>
> I read that bug report VERY carefully. Twice. There is *nothing* there
> that seems to have been fixed/addressed by .localdomain, except maybe a
> DNS timeout in Pierre's machine.  Everything else deals with the
> hostname.

FWIW, I completely agree with Henrique here (and pretty much in all past
messages in this thread)--I also read that bug report VERY carefully, and I
do not see how adding .localdomain had anything to do with the resolution
of that bug.

I believe that localhost.localdomain should be removed, as it is both
unnecessary and arbitrary.

> Or am I getting confused and d-i uses localhost.localdomain as the
> default hostname, and say, if I had told it that my machine is named
> "twerk", domain "foo.bar" I would get a
>
> 127.0.0.1 twerk.foo.bar twerk localhost
>
> entry in /etc/hosts?
>
> That would explain a lot...  but still make such a "fix" quite a bad
> idea.

No, on all of my sarge and sid machines the entry looked like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost foobar

Where foobar was the name I gave during the install process.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>