Re: bogus lintian warning

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 06:59:19PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> >> Or those who screw up and add it to a non-orig .orig.tar.gz (and by that I
> >> do NOT mean a modified upstream one, I mean a re-generated tarball during
> >> build because someone screwed up).
> >>
> >> 99.9% of the time, one just ignores these lintian warnings as one knows it
> >> comes from the upstream tarball.
> >
> > I'd rather not have warnings that must be ignored 99.9% of the time.
>
> You could add a lintian override.

Lintian overrides should only be used when a package is an exception to
an otherwise-generally-applicable Lintian message, not when the Lintian
message is basically wrong and should be removed. In this case, I
completely agree that the warning is bogus; it might be less so if it
were modified to check that the CVS directories are in the .diff.gz
rather than just somewhere in the unpacked source.

Cheers,