Re: Advices needed for moving {add|remove}-shell from passwd to debianutils

[Christian Perrier]
> Peter Samuelson mentioned passwd being Essential because it depends
> on passwd. This is actually right. However this dependency is just
> the consequence of bash needing the add-shell and remove-shell
> utilities...so, in the future, bash shouldn't depend on passwd
> anymore.

Right, but the point is, *right now* both passwd and debianutils are
Essential.  This should prevent either from being removed from a
running system - if debianutils Conflicts/Replaces an old passwd before
the new passwd is in the archive, dpkg should refuse to upgrade to it.

And, maybe I'm just dense, but your plan appears to have the same race
condition, for new installs.