Re: bogus lintian warning

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
>> The lintian warning source-contains-CVS-dir is bogus.
>
>> I agree that upstream should not put CVS in their tarballs.  But
>> sometimes they do.
>
> It's still useful for native packages, so it isn't completely bogus even
> if one agrees with the point about non-native packages.  It would also be
> a good idea to make sure such things didn't turn up in the diff (caused by
> the Debian package maintainer importing the source into a revision control
> system when packaging it and then not building the source package
> properly, for instance).

Quite right.

It is reasonable to warn about CVS directories that are not in the
upstream source.  (This includes, of course, native packages, since
there is no upstream source.)

It is also reasonable to warn about mentions of CVS files in patch
files, since dpkg-source -i can take care of those.

Those are different than the case I'm bothered by, and I have no
problem with those tests if they were to be added.

Thomas