Re: i386-uclibc debian

In article <[🔎] 1127920353.15766.11.camel@kariri>,
Daniel Ruoso  <daniel@ruoso.com> wrote:
>I'm interested in maintaining a i386-uclibc architecture, which is, like
>the name says, i386 binaries linked with uClibc. My plans are:
>
>Ok, now what's the problem...
>
>The i386 packages won't be compatible with my i386-uclibc environment
>(as I won't have glibc installed). So I started calling the architecture
>i386-uclibc with gnu name i386-uclibc-linux. And I'd like to ask: Is it
>OK?

Search for 'multiarch'. I understand (and/or hope) that in etch
the multiarch effort will get off the ground.

Multiarch means that you can install for example both 32-bits and
64-bits packages on a system with an x86_64 CPU and kernel. There is
a 32-bits 'bash' package and a 64-bits 'bash' package and you can
install either one. In your case, there would also be a 32-bits-uclibc
bash.

You can even use a standard install and later install the
32-bits-uclibc packages to replace the normal packages - voila.

Mike.