Re: Accepted grep 2.5.1.ds2-1 (source i386 sparc)

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 08:04:24PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>found 181378 2.5.1.ds2-1
>thanks
>
>* Anibal Monsalve Salazar [Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:47:06 -0700]:
>
>>   * Removed 64-egf-speedup.patch, 65-dfa-optional.patch,
>>     66-match_icase.patch and 67-w.patch from debian/patches,
>>     closes: #329876.
>
>  Those patches fixed a bug (and two merged) that had been opened for 2
>  and a half years. I think it'd be useful if you tried to contact the
>  authors of the patches, and try to fix them instead of removing them?

Sure, the grep maintainers decided to pull out them and will go
trough the patches again.

I have bcc-ed #181378.

>>   * Removed grep.texi from upstream tarball, 50-rgrep-info.patch and
>>     51-dircategory-info.patch from debian/patches, the GNU Free
>>     Documentation License from debian/copyright and debian/fdl.txt,
>>     closes: #281647.
>
>  Still, grep.1 remains, which (a) contains verbatim paragraphs from
>  grep.texi yet (b) comes in the upstream tarball with a license notice.
>  Does this mean that grep.1 is?:
>
>    - under the GFDL, so should be removed

grep.texi is the only documentation file under the GFDL whereas
grep.1 is not.

>    - under the GPL (the general license of the tarball), despite
>      sharing contents with grep.texi

grep.1 is covered by the license of the tarball which is the GPL.

>    - undistributable, because it has no license attached

I don't think so. If grep.1 is undistributable so many others files
are.

grep.1 is not the only only file without an explicit license. Other
files without an explicit license are:

lib/alloca.c
lib/closeout.h
lib/hard-locale.h
lib/regex.h
lib/savedir.h
lib/xstrtol.h
po/cat-id-tbl.c
src/dosbuf.c
src/getpagesize.h
src/grepmat.c
src/vms_fab.c
src/vms_fab.h
vms/config_vms.h
config.h

>  Cheers,
>
>--
>Adeodato Simó
>    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621
>
>Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the
>dozens.
>                -- Michel de Montaigne

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
--