Re: hotplug blacklists

On Sep 19, sean finney <seanius@debian.org> wrote:

> is it really that complicated?  unless i'm missing something, wouldn't
> it be as simple as
For a start, only user-written files should be converted.

> (of course provided for proper handling of tmpfile generation and a
> debconf prompt, i guess).  I think if you're going to discontinue
> support for such a feature, it would be very beneficial to the user
> community as a whole that they are informed of this during the upgrade,
> if not provided an easy upgrade path... as otherwise it will break
> everything from sound to networking to who knows what else for many people.

This is the NEWS.Debian entry. Is there anything missing?

udev (0.070-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * hotplug and coldplug support has been merged in the udev package, which
    will load all the drivers needed as the beginning of the boot process
    and handle hotplug events later.
    The hotplug package has been disabled and should be manually purged.

    This makes the following configuration files obsolete:
    + /etc/hotplug/*.rc and *.agent: the old hotplug files are not used
      anymore. udev rules may be used to selectively disable coldplugging.
    + /etc/hotplug/usb/*.usermap: must be replaced by udev rules.
    + /etc/hotplug/blacklist*: must be replaced by modprobe configuration
      directives.

 -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>  Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:27:31 +0200

--
ciao,