Re: Easy third-party package installer for debian-based distributions

(Side note: What's this obsession with Joe User everyone has? If there's
something _you_ have a problem with when using Debian, shoot. Otherwise,
synaptic is very easy to use -- even to Joe User).

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:22:30PM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> OK, may be an overkill.
> But what happens with your solution if skype depends on libskype, which is not
> available from debian's repository ?The user has to download several .debs in
> order to install a single software ?

You consider proprietary software developers to be competent enough to
understand how Debian is supposed to work, and then create and maintain
policy-compliant packages for their users?

Hah.

If they provide packages at all, they'll give you one package you're
supposed to install. If you're lucky, it may have dependencies via the
shlibdeps system. That's about it.

One improvement that I can see is that the double-click action you're
talking about would also run 'apt-get -f install' after installing the
proprietary .deb to automatically install any dependencies. That's about
it; all the rest is overkill.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond