Re: Reviving the Debian FAQ

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 03:01, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
--cut--
> Yes, I know there are some documents which are better than the FAQ for some
> issues (such as the Installation Manual or the Debian reference). But there
> are several reasons why I believe this document should be kept up to date:
> it's included in the official Debian CDs (it's one of the few documents
> provided there), it's included in all the official Debian mirrors (under
> /doc/), and many users (well, those that RTFM, that is) might go read it
> since it's listed as the first "User document" currently in our web page.

It would be nice if anything under d.o/doc/ (including the faq) is indexed on
a daily [weekly?] basis by some text search engine like namazu2 [name other
options here...]. The Debian CD/DVD faq should also join the party [1].
Having a search function for the documentation will help users get their
answers faster than before and will save lots of redundant questions to the
mailing lists IMHO.

[1] Please add that reply [2] to the CD/DVD faq since it appear to be the most
popular asker these days. The google-bait left there is also a good guess to
stress that enough ;-)
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2005/08/msg00103.html

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB