Re: Reviving the Debian FAQ

Scripsit Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kk288@cornell.edu>

> I am taking the liberty to write this even though I am not a DD. Hope
> you would not mind.

Anyone who has relevant points to make are welcome on the -devel
lists. Only DDs can upload packages and vote, but that is about it.

> http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

> It would be nice if you can include this in the Debian FAQ. Needless
> to say, I would be happy to hear comments on the above document.

I object to the notion that

| Testing is intended for Debian developers. If you are not a Debian
| developer, then install unstable as opposed to testing.

which rather permeates the document.

In principle testing is just a staging area for the next stable
version. Not many people *need* to run it, but it has been found to be
useful for users who want newer software than stable has yet don't
want to risk the breakage-of-the-day in unstable. There's even said to
be security support these days :-)

I don't think we as a project should endorse documentation that
encourages running unstable. Our official attitude should be that
unstable is only for people who want to be our guinea pigs. People who
run it without wanting to be guinea pigs nevertheless become ones, and
when things break for them, they don't get any sympathy.

--
Henning Makholm  "Det er jo svært at vide noget når man ikke ved det, ikke?"