Re: Multi-User X machine (Was: runlevels remodeled)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 02:59:17PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Steinar H. Gunderson]
> > How do you make this work? Last time I tried it, X would only show
> > the one connected to the ???active??? virtual console, and blanked
> > the other.
>
> It need some patches to the kernel and X.  I'm not sure how many of
> these are included in the mainstream kernel and X implementation yet.
> Check out
> <URL:http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,64163,00.html>
> and <URL:http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7852> for the story of
> HPs system making four desktop seats available from one machine.

Ubuntu implements this from the installer down (although only for the
special cases of four nVidia, MGA, or ATI cards, and even then you
may need to fiddle with the configuration a little bit), with a
bunch of patches to xorg -- no kernel patches required.  Those
patches are now in X.Org HEAD.