Re: Dogme05: Team Maintenance

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 02:15:43PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as a conclusion of many discussions at DebConf5, I propose to
> maintain all packages by teams.  A fine way to do this, is by
> having a pkg- project at alioth.debian.org.  It is useful to
> invite non-DDs, esp. upstream developers and people from Debian
> derivatives to participate in such teams.

I think the goal is good, but the implementation is not.

Why not rather move towards a more BSD approach, where any developer
can commit changes to any package?  It would work around having the
awkwardness of finding members of a team, or alternately, having to
convince someone to let you join a particular team.

What's more, alioth takes a lot of time to work with.  I often do
development on machines that are not connected to the 'net at a given
time, and upload packages later.  I would have no problem hosting my
darcs repository on alioth, but I would have a problem having to go to
alioth every time I upload a new version, or every time I upload a new
package, or whatnot.  If it can be integrated in a sane fashion with
other parts of Debian, then fine.  Otherwise, if it costs me time, I
want nothing to do with it.  Time I spend mucking around on alioth is
time I'm not spending fixing bugs or adding features.

-- John