Re: runlevels remodeled

In article <[🔎] 20050812152551.GD21447@boogie.lpds.sztaki.hu>,
GOMBAS Gabor  <gombasg@sztaki.hu> wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 04:05:43PM +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>
>> "Single-user" mode is a fiasco, because in /etc/rcS.d/* there are a number
>> of services that really should not belong there. Examples:
>>
>> 	-network
>> 	-all disks (including NFS) mounted
>
>Well, I have no strong feelings without the multiuser levels, but
>starting NFS in single user mode is a _major_ PITA. I really-really hated
>Debian for this when I was administering NFS-using computers.

NFS isn't started in single user mode.

Yes, all mounts from fstab, including NFS mounts, are done in
single user mode. But you should only put essential,static mounts in
/etc/fstab (say, /usr or so). For the rest you should use automount.

>For example, the Solaris way ("just do enough to be able to launch
>/bin/sh, and leave everything else to the admin") is much more useful in
>practice.

If you don't want NFS mounts in single user mode, don't put them
in /etc/fstab ...

Mike.