Re: runlevels remodeled

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>   Is there will to change the current policy regarding runlevels in
> Debian? I'd propose to use the recommendation made by LSB:

Well, for what is it worth, I am against part of what you describe.

We can shuffle what happens in system init (rc.S), single user and
multi-user runlevel of course, but *PLEASE* do not add multiple multi-user
runlevels on top of it.

The reason is simple. Multiple multi-user runlevels are a major pain to
support _by default_ _at the same time_ in _all_ next-generation-style
initscript systems, and they are of very limited use anyway (otherwise we
would have been pressured into adding them to Debian a few years ago).

If the local admin needs multiple multi-user runlevels, he can always set it
up himself (and use a initscript system that supports it without hassle ;-)
), and Debian packages won't screw with his configuration later (that would
be a grave/critical bug :P ).

> "Single-user" mode is a fiasco, because in /etc/rcS.d/* there are a number
> of services that really should not belong there. Examples:
>
> 	-network
> 	-all disks (including NFS) mounted

THAT can be changed orthogonally to adding more multi-user runlevels, and
IMHO it is something we can rethink, alright.

  Henrique Holschuh