Re: fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:51:53PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if any additional AMs are necessary -- there is a
>>> sufficient quantity of them to cover all current DD applicants...
>> No.
> Indeed - I counted "grave stones" as well. So there are 61 registered
> AMs. And just 39 from them are "active" (ie having ND assigned and not
> yet waiting for DAM) with next AMs being most active:
>
>      19 he
>      11 joerg

Well, both Joerg and me want to reduce the number of applicants we're
processing at the same time, so more AMs would really be helpful.

The problem is that Application Managers need to be able to invest some
time on a regular basis *and* know a lot about Debian Policy, Packaging
and QA. That's the reason for the usual "AMs should be DDs for 6
months". We know that this is very general, but it allows people to gain
experience as mentors and sponsors. Sometimes, we ignore it - when people
have shown their skills in the NM checks, for example.

It's not easy to see how well someone will work as Application Manager
before they actually do it. AMs who used to be very responsive, friendly
and tried to explain everything tend to get bored by the repetition;
others get more experience or learn new stuff and become better AMs
after some time.

Marc
--
BOFH #280:
Traceroute says that there is a routing problem in the backbone.