Re: about voting for bugs

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:12:52PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
> >To get some indication on the order the bugs should be solved in?  As
> >we have limited time and people, it is smart to start with the bugs
> >affecting most people.
> IMHO this might lead to the wrong assumption that bugs with only one
> vote have lower priority to become fixed.  It might perfectly possible
> that - for whatever reason - the people who are concerned by the bug
> just do not report bugs.  I know several people (if you like call them
> the "stupid users") who did not even noticed that you can report bugs.
> If one of these users with very basic skills found a bug and managed to
> report it, but others didn't the bug will be lost amongst the others
> of the "noisy" users which are basically developers and tend to be
> much more skilled in using the BTS.  So the reslut would probably be that
> we fix the bugs of "skilled" people more often than of these of the
> "not so skilled" users.

Andreas,

obviously the voting feature would in no way account in the severity of
the bug, and the maintainer should make the final decision. and if the
feature is implemented and gets used, users will do the job of counting.

of course, there is a risk that few people will vote too often, and that
too many won't vote at all. in a way, we already faced the same issues
with popcon, which is probably used in majority by 'skilled users'.

we could try to address this by encouraging the use of BTS and
integrating the bug reporting processes. i think such a feature is in
itself encouraging the 'not so skilled' user to go and check the BTS.

cheers, paul