Re: Who needs libcurl3?

Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:09:04PM +0300, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
>> > apt-get remove --purge libssl0.9.7 gives me tons of packages. Just
>> > an estimation: We need to repack half of all packages then?
>>
>> NO.[1]
>>
>> All that needs to happen is that GPLed packages without an OpenSSL
>> linking exception either need to:
>>
>>   1) Get a linking exception.
>>   2) Stop linking with OpenSSL.
>
> How about indirect linking with OpenSSL? I'd really like to have libldap
> use OpenSSL again but I was told this breaks the LDAP support of a lot
> of packages since linking LDAP would pull OpenSSL.
>
> Greetings
>
> 	Torsten

I guess the savest way is to have a libldap-nossl-dev and
libldap-ssl-dev. The former should have anything ssl derived
removed.

Packages without linking exception can then Build-Depend on
libldap-nossl-dev. If the ssl and nonssl ldap has the same ABI (nonssl
being a subset of ssl to be precise) the package can work with either
lib then.

MfG
        Goswin