Re: API/ABI in -dev package name?

* Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:
> > Exactly! :)  We must have a seperate tracking of API and ABI changes.
> > To do otherwise is madness.
>
> Hmm... I don't think Debian -dev package and
> shared library packages really reflect what we consider to be
> ABI/API.
>
> Nothing documented about that, and it's not really done in practice.
>
> Currently people just package libwhatever-dev and break API whenever they
> please.

Eh?  It *is* done in practice, look at my other email wrt glib.  Some
upstreams are actually quite good about their APIs and just don't ever
break it in a backwards-incompatible way.  In those cases
'libwhatever-dev' is perfectly fine.  Regardless, what you're suggesting
is probably done *less* in practice, so that argument certainly doesn't
hold.

	Thanks,

		Stephen