Re: "How to recognise different ETCH wishlists from quite a long way away" (revised)

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 04:56:15AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Thanks, but I'm not a random bystander. Even if I were, I don't see
> > how a compiled TODO for the distribution hinders development or
> > rather, as seen in the previous thread, encourages discussion
> > between developers.
>
>         Read http://www.livejournal.com/users/gravityboy/15401.html
>
>         In essence, this is akin to what Andrew Suffield calls "Voting
>  for more money". A reasonable list of reasonable, achievabel goals
>  for Etch is of real value. However, that requires thought, judgement,
>  and triaging out marginal and unrealistic ideas out of the list; and
>  that appears not to have been done.

For what it's worth, I've just signed myself and the X Strike Force (me
being the public face of the thing as of late) up for the X.Org transition
item on the EtchTODO page. I also removed two suprious items related to X
that I don't intend to do, and I don't plan on allowing to pass through the
X.Org packages currently. Seeing as I wrote the above blog entry, I can
take a little responsibility for my piece of that TODO list.

What I'd like to see is no more new items added to that list without
someone signing up and taking responsibility for them. What I really want
to see more than anything with that list is for each and every item to have
at least one person signed up, taking responsibility for it. That way, it
becomes a real TODO list, rather than just a stupid wishlist.

For those people out there who want to work on something but aren't sure
what, just sign up for something on that list and get to work! There's some
cool ideas on there, but we need to actually make them happen, since they
won't just materialize on their own. People in NM or looking to get in to
NM, this is a perfect opportunity to do something cool and help shape the
project. Finally, if you're already working on something, like getting the
new KDE or Gnome in to Debian, put it on there with your name by it! Let's
use this page to show people what's actually happening in Debian, so they
don't have to trawl through a zillion bug reports, mailing lists, and irc
channels just to hear what we plan to do.

 - David Nusinow