Re: "How to recognise different ETCH wishlists from quite a long way away" (revised)

Dunno which section of your list this should pertain but "Enforce the
use of po-debconf for debconf templates" is in my mind.

This probably needs a few s/SHOULD/MUST in the policy so that we can
file RC bugs on packages which still use the "old style" debconf l10n
system.

There are few of these and, IIRC, none of them are really critical
packages. Some work was done a few months ago, including NMUs, but the
release priorities have stopped it.

I also think think about enforcing the use of debconf for packages
during config step so that NO package prompts users outside debconf
and interrupts installs/upgrades (wvdial comes to my mind).