Re: should etch be Debian 4.0 ?

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 04:16:01PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> If Debian simply _must_ have decimal points in its release numbers then
> I'd suggest replacing the 'r' in update version numbers with '.'.  Thus
> 9.1 would be the number of the first etch update.

As I remember, the original reason for using 'r' in update version
numbers was that (in contrast to '.') it didn't make CD vendors think
they had to throw out and re-press all their existing stock of Debian
CDs every time a point release was issued. I think that rationale is
still at least somewhat valid.