Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

Le Lun 27 Juin 2005 10:14, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen a écrit :
> Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:
> > I fully disagree, greylisting is really painful
>
> Since this is contrary to my experience with greylisting, I'd like to
> hear more about your experiences with it, and why you consider
> greylisting "really painful".

I already did : for personnal use (and I use my @debian.org address for
some debian related personnal discussions, like discussions with an
uploader I sponsor or alike) I find that 30minutes delays are not
acceptable (and I know that greylisting last only 5 minutes, but it's a
fact that requeue of a mail is done 30 minutes after the first try for
most of the SMTP server on the planet).

I don't ask a <5s delay for every mail I send/receive, but if a mail
takes more than 2-3 minutes to be delivered, then this is useless.

> I'm also interested in hearing about the size of the mail platforms
> you've used it on, and wether the mail platforms are list-heavy or
> user-heavy, and mostly incoming or outgoing traffic.

On a mail platform where you use greylisting, you generally have a boost
in performances. *BUT* you punish all the MX that deliver mail to you.
greylisting put the charge on the SMTP server before you, and those MX
will deliver mails slower to you.

like I said many times in that thread, greylist is a good solution to
filter spam with quite no false positive, that's true. *BUT* it's a bad
idea to use it for *every* mail. A mail that (e.g.) :
 - is SPF-clean
 - comes from hotst that are RBL-clean
 - <put your own fast test here>
should not suffer from greylisting.