Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

On Saturday 18 June 2005 01:33, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
>   you didn't read one of my first posts : when the mail you receive
> comes from a big big big MX, and that they see a greylisted domain,
> since the time is sometimes 5 minutes, somtimes 10 and sometimes 20,
> they choose to deliberately let those mail in the queue for 30 to 60
> minutes.

Do you have any evidence to support yout claim that big mail servers are
configured to handle gray-listing servers differently from other mail
servers?

My experience from working at big ISPs is that queues can take 60 minutes to
process because they have many tens of thousands of messages.  A queue with
more than 50,000 messages will take quite a while to process even if you have
a 100baseT full-duplex connection to the Internet.

> if there is 2 or 3 such MX that relay the mail before it
> arrives to its final destination, it can induce 2 to 3 hours delays (I
> already saw it) and it's painful.

In what situation will you have three such mail servers?

>   And don't tell me that those MX admins are idiots. If you have an MX
> farm that deal with Megs of mails per day, you can't afford useless
> requeuinf of mails.

My experience is that when you have a mail server farm dealing with gigs of
mail a day you don't bother about special queuing etc.  Any change from the
default config of a mail server is a change that has to be preserved across
upgrades (including emergency upgrades for security reasons), it has to be
tested, and if it goes wrong it might do bad things to hundreds of thousands
of messages.

> btw, I don't know how to help to deploy antispam tools for debian, but I
> can help if any help is welcomed/wanted/...

You could help by listing the anti-spam measures that you consider to be
acceptable.  Rejecting every suggestion for an improvement is not helpful.